Moving home can seem like a mammoth undertaking, but if you follow this step-by-step checklist, you may find it a whole lot easier…
Before the move…
On the big day itself…
At your new home…
1. Double-check that everything in the property is in order and meets the terms of your purchase contract.
2. Check that the electricity, gas, hot water and telephone connections have been switched on.
3. As you begin the unpacking process, check for damage or missing items.
4. Check security. If you are concerned, arrange to have the locks changed.
5. Update your electoral enrolment details to ensure you’re correctly enrolled to vote – go to www.elections.org.nz to enrol or update your address Freetext your name and address to 36 76 or call 0800 36 76 56 for an enrolment form.
6. Update your will – this should happen whenever your financial circumstances change.
7. Introduce yourself to the neighbours and get acquainted with the neighbourhood.
8. And finally, but certainly not least… crack open that bottle of bubbly, set a date for a housewarming party and start celebrating your new home!